It is 11 days into the year 2011 and has provided me plennty of time to reflect on my resolutions for the new year. I am sure that many have come to their resolution conclusions long before the ball dropped to begin this new decade, but I needed a little more time. So this post will serve as documentation of my resolutions for 2011. I feel that having these written down some where will make me more accountable to them. I guess we will find out in due time.
- Read More than Tim Cowlishaw – One of my favorite sports banterers and writers Tim Cowlishaw, or TC, read 20 books last year. I figure, why can’t I do the same thing. I enjoy reading, and now that I am not taking classes, actually have time to do it. I figure a book every other week will put me ahead of TC. I have already polished off one this year and am in the midst of reading three others. Not a problem to finish this one. TC is going down in this imaginary resolution/bet I have with him.
- Be a Better Manager – Speaking of reading books, my first book this new year was by one of my favorite authors on leadership, Patrick Lencioni. The Three Signs of Miserable Job was his only book I had yet to read. So with my brand new Kindle from Santa, I made my first e-book purchase. I finished Three Signs in two days and will be applying the lessons to my own practice as a supervisor. Immeasurable. Irrelevance. Anonymity. Three things I will be working to eliminate for my employees in 2011.
- Take Care of Myself – I am about to be an office of one for this upcoming semester. I pretty daunting task for an ever expanding population of students paired with an increased interest in campus engagement through student organizations and F/S life. Plus, because CA took forever to pass a state budget and I am part of the CSU, our office budget for 2010-2011 is tied mostly into Spring 2011 events and activities. Therefore, I will have to be more vigilant than ever before in taking care of myself. I bought a Wii for Ali and I so we can have some fun downtime and workout all the same. We have been using our Clipper Cards more frequently to travel around the San Fran and even ventured into Oakland last weekend. I am considering going to mass again on Sundays to fill a spiritual void that has been growing since I left high school in 2001. Overall, I am looking to do more things for myself that make me happy outside of work. So far so good.
- DO THIS MORE… – I have written blogs in the past but they typically go the same route. I will write once a week in the beginning and then slowly it will fade into the internet blackhole with only a few random clicks here and there. In order to rectify this problem, I have carved out time in my schedule each week to allow me to write. It is not so much the concept of blogging, but more about writing. I drive at least two hours everyday. There are tons of thoughts and ideas that go through my mind on my drive. This is just an extension of those hours spent in my Mazda.
That sums up my resolutions for 2011. I leave you with a couple of pipe dreams for the new year.
- Do something with The Table Group. This is Patrick Lencioni’s company. They are housed in San Francisco. I live in San Francisco. This would be a dream to do something with them.
- Have another professional staff member in my office. The CA budget revisions were released. I will be lucky to not have my division cut. Looks like it will be just me and my boss for the foreseeable future.
- Do some consulting. I love to fix things and take on new challenges. To me, this is a lot of what consulting is. If anyone wants to inquire about my services, feel free to contact me. If you are concerned about qualifications, I refer you to my About Me section of this blog. That about sums it up.
Until next time…